Last week my Fiance asked me if I could make him a Valentine’s Day box for his work. I was so excited because I haven’t done a craft like this since I was little. I started to think how I could make his Valentine’s box special instead of a regular ole box. Whala! I did what most people do to brainstorm and get ideas, PINTEREST!!!
I saw a lot of cool Valentine boxes for kids, however I just wasn’t seeing anything super spectacular. I did a little more research and added “Minions” because if you are like my Fiance and I we LOVE the Minions.
Shortly after I had found what I had been looking for! A Valentine’s Day Minion! I was so excited and kept reading the instructions. It didn’t look too difficult, plus this was something different than a box. Here is the blog I found.
Here is my process for making this Valentine’s Day Minion Craft! You can follow along if you would like to make your own. I didn’t make mine exactly like theirs, it’s fun to be creative!
Materials you’ll need:
- Giant Jug of Soda (Dollar Store)
- Modge Podge Glue
- Modge Podge Brush
- Tissue paper colors. I chose two.
- 2 Foam sheets (One White, One color for Goggle Strap)
- Pipe cleaners
- Large feather boa (I chose purple)
- Hot Glue Gun and glue sticks
- Small bag of Stones or Marbles to help be a weight in the bottle
- Foam Circle for the Eye/Eyes (I only used One)
I found most of everything at Hobby Lobby, however I went to the Dollar Store for the marbles and the Large Bottle.
Step 1. Empty Large Bottle and wash out with water. Use the Scissors to cut a hole in the top of the bottle where the cap is. I tried to keep the hole smaller than larger.
Next, use a Sharpie to draw the mouth of your Minion. Then carefully poke a hole with your scissors and start cutting along the line to make the mouth.
Once the mouth is cut, use your hand to bend open the mouth a little more. This is where people will put their Valentine Cards, so you want it to have a good bendable opening.
2. Next put your marbles in. You can glue them if you want, however I decided to just place mine in the bottom. I used most of the marble bag.
3. Cut several strips of tissue paper that you will use to cover the bottle or “body” of your creature. I chose dark purple. Next, Paint a thin layer of modge podge glue straight on the bottle about the size of one sheet of your tissue paper. After that, lay one piece of tissue paper on top of the modge podge. Continue to repeat all around the bottle. Let it dry a little bit and then continue to layer modge podge and tissue paper all around the bottle so it is completely covered. I used about 3-4 sheets.
Once the body is complete, let it dry!
4. My Favorite part–The Hair!
Grab your Pipe cleaners and Feather Boa and Stapler. Cut the Boa about the length of one pipe cleaner then staple them together. I used about 5 pieces.
After you staple them together, make an “L” shape with your pipe cleaner and hot glue it to the top, or head, of the body. It was a little difficult at first because I didn’t use enough glue. Don’t be shy with the glue, be sure to use a lot and don’t worry, it’s a craft so it’s going to be messy! 😉
When you are finished it should look something like this. The pipe cleaners are fun because you can make the hair go any way you want. Have fun with it! 🙂
Now that you have the body and hair complete, it is time to add the goggles. Use one of your Foam sheets and cut a long strand, however thin or thick you want, and hot glue it around the bottle leaving room for the eye. This is where it might be different for you if you use more than one eye. I chose one eye since I wanted it to resemble the Purple Minion on the movie as much as possible. 🙂
After that, use your other color of tissue paper and Modge Podge it around the Foam Circle (that I found at Hobbly Lobby) to make the outter color of the eye goggle.
Next, use the white foam sheet to cut a circle for the eye. After you are done, hot glue it or stick it to the eye (I got the sticky foam sheet).
Then, use one color of tissue paper to make the eye lid and modge podge it to the eye. I used my finger rather than the brush since it’s a small area.
Next, make a smaller half-circle to make the eye ball. I made two circles so that the eye would show up better. 🙂
Here is what my Minion looks like so far…
To make the teeth you will need the white foam board and glue gun. Cut different size and shapes of pieces from the white foam board to make the teeth. Once you are ready to put them on, glue them on the inside of the mouth. BAM! Now your creature has teeth!
7. A little something extra!
Since this was a Valentines Day Craft, I added a balloon and a red bow tie (also from Hobby Lobby) to the craft to make the Minion more festive.
I hope you had as much fun as I did making this craft! Now others can fill it up with awesome Valentines Day cards/treats!
Happy Valentines Day!!